My studio is in our home.
I love having it here, it is convenient and works for our needs…
What I don’t like about it is the mess!
Working in this field is creative and fulfilling but it comes with so much stuff…
Samples of fabrics, wallpaper, flooring, carpet, resource books, price lists, stock, the list goes on and on.
So, having a well organized space is important.
I decided that my studio needed a spring cleaning… and new shelves, there just wasn’t enough room for everything!
I hope you looked at that photo and thought… “Well, that looks quite organized.”
That’s because it is the after photo…
So here comes the extremely embarrassing before photo of my storage room.
It is a great 9’x8′ room located right off my studio, a handy place for all my fabrics because with no windows I don’t need to worry about sun exposure.
That was really hard for me to show…
I may need therapy.
I did not have a large budget for this project, the shelving needed to be practical and strong.
I cleaned out the room and Kent got to work…
He just loves it when I get these ideas when we are on holidays!
I wanted open shelves in an L shape on two walls, the other wall with brackets for bolts of fabric and doweling to hang bags, trim and hanging fabric samples etc.
Much better don’t you think?
Now I can see everything. No more tripping over stuff on the floor…
Those paint chip resource bags are the worst, my mother would blush if she heard me after tripping over one of those!
The doweling is easily pushed over to add or remove bags as needed.
I used the top shelf of my drysink to display my memo samples, now I can see them and access them much more easily.
These great baskets hold samples of finials, brackets and any other small ring samples like wood finishes etc.
Even a spot for my little jewelry bags… so cute!
Everything seems much more organized now, I feel like I can get to all my resources easily.
And… I can leave that storage door open!
I decided to move my child sized antique caned sofa up onto the desk to hold my papers.
One other little tidbit about my studio that you might find interesting…
When we were building the house I was looking for cabinetry to house all my fabric books.
I was just about to put in the order for custom wall units when we stumbled across these tops from china cabinets at an outlet.
They were the top halves from high end hutches.
The story we got was that the bases had been lost during shipping and they were blowing them out for $200 a piece..
So we bought four of them, stacked them two high and put them on both end walls of the studio.
For $800 we created two floor to ceiling units, each six feet wide.
Solved my display problem perfectly with no order time.
It was a good day!
It is amazing how much better I feel about my studio now, I thought that little room with the door closed wasn’t bothering me…
I was wrong!
Thanks for stopping in today!